RE: ISSUE-125: Finding out whether a user agent supports DNT

We would also like to extend DNT protections to users of devices/browsers that do not support DNT. There are various ways in which such preferences (and exceptions to them) can be managed and indicated by the user, in addition to DNT settings on the browser. These in most part don't require standardization (we've already mentioned some, e.g. the setting of DNT headers through an enterprise or service proxy), if the effect on user privacy and the parties in the service delivery path (e.g. the presence of DNT headers in requests and handling of them in responses) is per the spec. Even for users that do have DNT-enabled devices, such "out-of-band" preferences management can simplify (and make more reliable) their overall privacy experience.

Thanks,
Bryan Sullivan

From: Shane Wiley [mailto:wileys@yahoo-inc.com]
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2012 6:37 PM
To: Sean Harvey; Nicholas Doty
Cc: Matthias Schunter; public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: RE: ISSUE-125: Finding out whether a user agent supports DNT

Nick, thank you for the text - looks good to me.

Sean, this was to allow companies to begin setting "user granted exceptions" up front and not rely on out of band consent if they didn't want to.

For example, a publisher has several options to manage "user granted exceptions":

- 100% out of band - allows them to ignore the DNT:1 signal for users who grant the exception but the web browser will not be aware of this
- Mixed - request out of band exceptions from non-DNT users for some set of activities and only use browser user granted exceptions for those users that activate DNT
- 100% browser based - request all user granted exceptions through the browser regardless of the user's DNT signal (this is the text Nick provided)

It's still too early for me call which way publishers would like to go and will likely be depended on the type of exception they'd be seeking.  That said, it's nice to know that Yahoo!, as a publisher, has the full array of options to choose from as we discuss the pros/cons of each in context.

- Shane