From: Jeffrey Chester [mailto:jeff@democraticmedia.org]
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:52 AM
To: Shane Wiley
Cc: Matthias Schunter; public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: Re: ISSUE-111, ad exchanges, web wide exception

Shane and colleagues:

Can you explain your thoughts on how the web-wide exception would work in the ad exchange/dsp model?  Would a user be informed first (before an ad could be served) about the companies bidding to serve the ad, in terms of their data collection practices?  [Talk about millisecond decision-making!]  Would a user know about the third party data companies and data itself used to compile the profile for the bidding? I want to better understand how a users privacy via DNT:1 will be impact by the real-time targeting and sales process.

Thanks,

Jeff