Re: ISSUE-111 - Exceptions are broken

Kevin,

On Thursday 08 March 2012 14:34:58 Kevin Smith wrote:
> Yes - which is the only important part of exceptions, because again, the
> exception exists because the 1st party wants to know what content to show
> the user.  The 3rd party has no value by itself.  It is only included to
> provide value to the 1st party.  If the 1st party cannot make the content
> decision, then there is no reason to request an exception - it will treat
> the user as DNT:1 and 3rd parties are completely irrelevant.

I agree, this is important. How can we solve that use-case without creating a
privacy incident? Because so far, as you remarked, the service can't see
whether I block the http requests to third parties. This has numerous probs,
but we must overcome them to create the right incentives. Because there are
two possible outcomes if it works:

1/ Services use this to install paywalls for those not looking at very
privacy-invasive advertisement.

2/ If in scenario 1/ users will go away instead, we will see services looking
for reasonable monetizing third parties that are acceptable to users.

This looks like a market to me. And markets are always best to find out the
optimum unless they are seen to be defunct (like for apartment rental in
France ;). But we can't know if this market is defunct if we haven't tried it
out. Again, difficult.

Your take, Kevin.. ?

Rigo