From: Matthias Schunter [mailto:mts@zurich.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 11:15 AM
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: Re: JS Exception API

Hi Kevin,

I understand your point that asking for a "*'" permission is easier for the site. It basically means that you declare a 1st party to be trusted to do everything right and not select untrusted trackers.

I also understand that the user experience is sub-optimal if there is a new set of third-parties frequently popping up for approval .

However, I believe that your proposal  (using "*" exeptions without declaration of the third parties) does not satisfy the EU requirement of 'informed' consent. It also leaves some privacy holes.

Consider a scenario where I do not like a given 'data-broker' third party (e.g. this bad player will publishing all my browsing traces and data on the web ;-)),  Your proposal permits that this service tracks me all over my most trusted sites while I cannot even determine that this has happened.

>From my perspective, the requirements are;
- There exists a user friendly way to approve and disapprove individual third
   parties (blacklisting or the like).
- Users can find out what third party services are in use

I do not know whether, e.g., providing a "*" consent while then dynamically declaring/displaying the third parties in use would be called 'informed consent'. Such a solution would be a mix of "*"
exceptions plus TPL-like blacklisting of some third parties.

Did I misunderstand something?
Does anybody have ideas how to resolve this?

Regards,
matthias

On 3/5/2012 11:02 PM, Kevin Smith wrote:
> Vincent, thanks for your reply.  Responses inline below

 htmare f
or 1st parties.

>> Regarding point 1. & 3., I don't believe there will be that many different configurations --mostly because users may not know specifically each third party-- so publishers may not have many configuration to consider. At worst, they could simply consider two cases:
>> 1) All third parties have been granted an exception,
>> 2) At least one third party has not been granted an exception.
>
> Knowing that some but not all of the exceptions have been granted is completely useless to a 1st party.  What decisions can they make with that information?  None.   Either they treat it as if none were granted (in which case, we are back to an '*'), or they need to know which exceptions were not granted, so they can make a decision about what to do.  This implies that we expect them to make different decisions based on which services have not received an exception - which in turn means they have to customize code on a per 3rd party basis and make sure they all work together - expensive, complicated, and not worth it when they can handle things in a Boolean fashion by using an '*' or by not offering exceptions at all.
>
> Plus, forget all about monetizing and tracking completely for a minute.  Site owners want complete control over how their page acts, looks, and renders.  Each 3rd party service included on a site may behave differently when receiving DNT:1 then DNT:0.  Its bad enough to handle two states - all on and all off.  But, depending on the extent to which the services interact, it could quickly become unmanageable to handle all the possible states of some on and some off.  Again, not even talking about tracking or monetizing, this makes it very difficult just to present a stable, coherent interface for users.
>

>> Also, for point 1.a I don't see why it would be an issue if one
>> element in the chain receives DNT:1
>
> Because each service in the chain relies on the others to provide a specific value to the first party.  If step 2 in the chain thinks it can provide full value, but step 3 is prohibited from doing so two things happen - 1) step 2 needs to know that step 3 cannot provide full value, and 2) in consequence, step 2 cannot provide full value so it has to make what decisions it makes as if it got DNT:1 - it may be able to track like it got dnt:0, but to a large degree it has to behave as if it received a DNT:1.  Meanwhile, since all this happens after the 1st party page has already loaded, even if the browser indicates to the 1st party somehow the dnt status it sent, it will be making decisions based on incorrect information (ie, it thought it could monetize this visitor, but in fact it could not, at least to the extent it expected).  To alert the 1st party after the fact, we would have to also implement an event of some kind (a DNT was different than you thought event), which t!
 he 1st p
arty will then have to catch