Re: Frequency Capping

Interesting debate. I went back through the archives to June 22 and pulled out Roy's definition of tracking, here it is:

tracking

  (c1) Tracking is the collection or use of user data via either a unique
identifier or a correlated set of data points being used to approximate a
unique identifier, in a context other than "first party" as defined in this
document.

  (c2) Tracking is defined as following or identifying a user, user agent,
or device across multiple visits to a site (time) or across multiple sites
(space).

  (r1) Tracking is defined as following or identifying a user, user agent,
or device across multiple visits to a site (time) or across multiple
sites (space). Mechanisms for performing tracking include but are not
limited to:
€ assigning a unique identifier to the user, user agent, or device
   such that it will be conveyed back to the server on future visits;
€ personalizing references or referral information such that they will
   convey the user, user agent, or device identity to other sites;
€ correlating data provided in the request with identifying data
   collected from past requests or obtained from a third party; or,
€ combining data provided in the request with de-identified data
   collected or obtained from past requests in order to re-identify
   that data or otherwise associate it with the user, user agent,
   or device.

  (r2) Tracking is the retaining or sharing of data about a user's Internet
activity in a form that remains linkable to that user, user agent, or device
across multiple Web properties that do not share a common first party (data
controller).

So here's the question. Does the current approach to f-capping infringe on this definition?

As for the DNT:1 signal sent by IE10 – there is simply no way to verify who set it. Here's exactly what a server sees from IE10

HTTP_USER_AGENT=[Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows NT 6.2; Win64; x64; Trident/6.0)]

HTTP_USER_AGENT=
[Mozilla/5.0]
[(compatible;]
[MSIE]
[10.0;]
[Windows]
[NT]
[6.2;]
[Win64;]
[x64;]
[Trident/6.0)]

HTTP_FROM=[]

Start of CGI environment variables...

GATEWAY_INTERFACE="CGI/1.1"
HTTP_ACCEPT="text/html, application/xhtml+xml, */*"
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING="gzip, deflate"
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE="en-US"
HTTP_CONNECTION="Keep-Alive"
HTTP_DNT="1"

So what do you do? You can see that the browser is Mozilla 5.0 compatible – so I fired up Firefox 13.0 and ran the same test. Here's what the server sees.

TTP_USER_AGENT=[Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:13.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/13.0.1]

HTTP_USER_AGENT=
[Mozilla/5.0]
[(Macintosh;]
[Intel]
[Mac]
[OS]
[X]
[10.7;]
[rv:13.0)]
[Gecko/20100101]
[Firefox/13.0.1]

HTTP_FROM=[]

Start of CGI environment variables...

GATEWAY_INTERFACE="CGI/1.1"
HTTP_ACCEPT="text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8"
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING="gzip, deflate"
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE="en-us,en;q=0.5"
HTTP_CONNECTION="keep-alive"
HTTP_DNT="1"

The only way to tell the browsers apart is to parse every GET request that has a DNT value in it and look for the second value. And even then you still have no idea who set the flag.

Peter
Peter J. Cranstone
CEO.  3PMobile
Boulder, CO  USA