From: Peter Eckersley <peter.eckersley@gmail.com<mailto:peter.eckersley@gmail.com>>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 19:57:18 -0700
To: Chris Mejia - IAB <chris.mejia@iab.net<mailto:chris.mejia@iab.net>>
Cc: Jonathan Mayer <jmayer@stanford.edu<mailto:jmayer@stanford.edu>>, Tamir Israel <tisrael@cippic.ca<mailto:tisrael@cippic.ca>>, "Grimmelmann, James" <James.Grimmelmann@nyls.edu<mailto:James.Grimmelmann@nyls.edu>>, W3C DNT Working Group Mailing List <public-tracking@w3.org<mailto:public-tracking@w3.org>>, Mike Zaneis - IAB <mike@iab.net<mailto:mike@iab.net>>, Brendan Riordan-Butterworth - IAB <brendan@iab.net<mailto:brendan@iab.net>>
Subject: Re: Frequency Capping

On 11 July 2012 18:42, Chris Mejia <chris.mejia@iab.net<mailto:chris.mejia@iab.net>> wrote:

I work with and represent those key advertising industry engineers you're calling out— the overwhelming response to the proposed "work arounds" to date has been "no, we can't do that" (sorry). Again, performance and scale issues abound, not to mention needless conflicts with the fundamentals of the advertising business.  Respectfully, the job of any working group that wants to regulate another group is to provide real justification for its need to regulate, THEN solve for real-world problems. Bring real problems; justify them; cite examples; show research/data; support your case.  THEN we can start talking and brainstorming solutions.

What you are claiming here, I believe, is that (some? all?) advertising industry engineers do not wish to compromise with privacy and consumer groups on a meaningful Do Not Track standard.

We have gone to tremendous lengths, and in good faith, to compromise on our end.  It's disappointing not to see that from the other side.

--
Peter