Re: Prototype of Do Not Track Exceptions (ISSUE-151)

From: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 15:03:25 +0200
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Cc: "TOUBIANA, VINCENT (VINCENT)" <Vincent.Toubiana@alcatel-lucent.com>, Jonathan Mayer <jmayer@stanford.edu>
Vincent,

if we reject "on by default" on the basis that it allegedly doesn't
reflect a user choice, it is even less a user choice if a tool can
just spawn DNT:1 requests and reject exception requests.

This will only serve some short-term success for alleged baseline
protection for the US market only. Not good enough IMHO as it also
removes the DNT system as a communication system. Without exceptions
or only one answer (no), this isn't really a tool for the user. But
what if we create a tool that sends "yes" on every exception
request? Would that be compliant too?

Rigo