Re: action-231, issue-153 requirements on other software that sets DNT headers

On Aug 23, 2012, at 4:58 PM, Tamir Israel wrote:

> Hi Roy,
>
> On 8/23/2012 7:46 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>>
>> To obtain explicit and informed prior consent, we have to do something
>> out of band that obtains explicit and informed consent.  I don't
>> know exactly what that is, but I am sure it doesn't include giving
>> a pre-selected option in a dialog during initial installation/use
>> of an operating system default UA.
>
> Is this obligation (that out of band consent mechanisms must reflect explicit and informed user consent) in the TPE?

No, they are out of band mechanisms for the *purpose* of obtaining
explicit and informed prior consent.  If the mechanisms don't work,
that's not our problem to solve [no implied permissions are given
just for trying].

....Roy