tracking-ISSUE-160 (except-query): Do we need an API that will tell a host what its current exception status is? [Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)]

From: Tracking Protection Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 22:21:42 +0000
To: public-tracking@w3.org
tracking-ISSUE-160 (except-query): Do we need an API that will tell a host what its current exception status is? [Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)]

http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/160

Raised by: David Singer
On product: Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)

It might be useful, and 'complete the model', if we had a JS API that told a host what its current exception status is in a given context.  Specifically, an API

myHeader = QueryExceptionStatus();

which examines the *document origin* of the script, the current *top-level domain* and returns:
* an empty string if no DNT header would be sent to that document origin
* the exact DNT header (DNT:1 or DNT:0) that would be sent