Re: IAB US participation as expert

I have been silent within the group on this topic for 12 months now but I guess I have to respond since a W3C staffer has put it out there in such apparently stark terms.

Last August I was approached by the W3C staff and INVITED to participate in a working group on this subject. I was asked if IAB would be willing to participate on behalf of the digital advertising industry since they did not have such representation and we were the EXPERTS.  In stark terms, I was invited because I was an expert. Call me crazy, but I always thought we were INVITED EXPERTS.

On a personal note, I was asked to take a leap of faith and to spend significant time and resources to participate in a process that is largely duplicative, if not disruptive, to the industry's self regulatory program, and I agreed, when many other groups declined.  Now, I don't expect a medal for such actions, but I also do not expect to be deceived about our role in said process.  IAB and IAB Europe were the only two trade associations in Boston last September.

For Rigo to say that all it takes is a check to fix the issue is completely missing the point. When the W3C needed the IAB we stepped up in partnership, now that the process is 1 year old and we are about to have official votes, they are changing the rules and it sounds like a bait and switch. Furthermore, we have not sought to waste the group's time on this issue as Rigo states, but have instead asked repeatedly behind the scenes for clarification on our status, with no response by Thomas or the Co-Chairs.

So that's where we are as of right now: awaiting answers.

Mike Zaneis
SVP & General Counsel, IAB
(202) 253-1466