RE: action-231, issue-153 requirements on other software that sets DNT headers

From: SULLIVAN, BRYAN L <bs3131@att.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 14:40:36 +0000
To: Nicholas Doty <npdoty@w3.org>, "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
CC: David Singer <singer@apple.com>, David Wainberg <david@networkadvertising.org>
From: Nicholas Doty [npdoty@w3.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:46 PM
To: public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)
Cc: David Singer; David Wainberg
Subject: action-231, issue-153 requirements on other software that sets DNT headers

Hi all,

Dave Singer and I volunteered to draft a very short proposal to capture the idea that if software outside the user agent (like anti-virus software, or a http proxy or what-have-you) sets a DNT value, it should still capture the user's intent.

Proposal:

After this existing sentence in the TPE spec:
> Likewise, a user agent extension or add-on must not alter the tracking preference unless the act of installing and enabling that extension or add-on is an explicit choice by the user for that tracking preference.

Add:
> Software outside of the user agent that causes a DNT header to be sent (or modifies existing headers) MUST NOT do so without following the requirements of this section; such software is responsible for assuring the expressed preference reflects the user's intent.

I believe this fulfills a common concept we've heard in the WG. It may also go towards issue-150 (conflicts between user agents), in explaining that any software must follow the same requirements for non-default user choice.

David Wainberg is also working on a proposal around this issue but we haven't had a chance to compare/combine texts yet.

Thanks,
Nick