Re: Headers modified along the way against user (non) choices

* Kevin Smith wrote:
>The other purpose I can see of echoing the request is trying to
>determine which proxies or other services were altering the header.  I
>personally would hate to bloat the specification for debugging purposes.
>There has to be a more elegant method for doing this since every new
>header has experienced the same problem and I am not familiar with any
>others requiring an echo.

HTTP/1.1 already supports this feature in form of the TRACE request
method, which can be used to ask an origin server to send the request
as it received it back to the client. These days it is often disabled
but it works fine on e.g. <http://www.ietf.org/>. If the user suffers
a proxy that always drops or rewrites the header by accident, this
method, just like requesting some header echoing script, would reveal
that, unless it is blocked or not implemented of course.