Re: Outsourcing

Directionally, I like the approach, but I would propose revising it to
make it cleaner.

  * I prefer "reasonable controls" to "reasonable technical
    precautions," because it's broader, and could encompass both
    business controls and technical controls.
  * As to what the controls are for, it's to prevent the mingling of
    data across parties, right?
  * I don't know what a "form that renders them legally enforceable" by
    all of those parties will be, especially across jurisdictions.
    However, if a company publicly states that it adheres to DNT, and if
    there's a requirement in DNT for parties in this context to have
    "reasonable controls" then that's adequate for enforcement, isn't
    it? I don't disagree with the direction of this, just need to make
    it workable.
  * To your issue about scope, the vendor needs to reserve some
    independent uses, such as to operate, maintain and improve the
    service, prevent fraud, etc. They also might disclose data in
    aggregate form to market the service, or for research.

Here's a draft proposal:

When a vendor or service provider collects or uses [some data] on behalf
of another party, that vendor or service provider stands in the same
position as the party with regard to DNT if the vendor or service
provider: 1) will use the data in non-aggregate form only on behalf of
the party, and 2) takes reasonable measures to ensure 1. Whether
measures are reasonable depends on particular circumstances, but may
include business or technical controls such as [TBD].

Notes:

  * "some data" is a placeholder for a yet to be defined scope of data
    to which DNT applies
  * I broadened to any parties, not just 1st vs 3rd, so that, e.g.,
    vendors of vendors will be covered (and also because I continue to
    doubt that the 1st vs 3rd distinction is useful.)
  * I propose, for clarity, that we refer to this type of relationship
    as a "vendor" or "service provider" relationship. I think that's
    consistent with usage in the industry, so will be better understood.