From: Justin Brookman [mailto:justin@cdt.org]
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:06 PM
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: Re: Issue-39: Tracking of Geographic Data

If an ad network (or some other third-party) uses precise geolocation to
show me an ad (or some other geo-contextual content), but then immediately
deletes that information (or retains for some excepted purpose like ad
reporting but not profiling), that seems to me to be more akin to contextual
advertising than "tracking."  I think I agree with Shane that the
granularity of the location is not relevant to whether the collection and
use of location data is across sites or time.

On the other hand, the precision of the data will determine whether it can
be kept pursuant to one of the exceptions if any of those exceptions require
anonymization/de-identification (since precise geolocation data collected
over time is inherently identifying).  If at the end of this process the
exceptions don't require anonymization, that would be an argument against
the use of precise geolocation by a third-party in response to a DNT header,
as the exceptions would allow for the retention of highly personal data.

Justin Brookman
Director, Consumer Privacy Project
Center for Democracy & Technology
1634 I Street NW, Suite 1100