Re: Issue 2: Use of the term "3rd-party"

Is the key distinguishing factor that the "third-party" resources come from a different document origin?

"document origin" is defined by HTML5 [0] (and for URLs in particular in an RFC [1]) and refers to a tuple of host, scheme and port. It's a standard concept in Web security which might make it easier to understand, implement or use.

Does the Microsoft implementation also apply the lists to URIs with domains that are subdomains of the top-level document's origin?

—Nick

[0] http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/single-page.html#origin-0
[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6454