Re: Agenda: Global considerations F2F meeting 11-12 Berlin

Hi Rigo

I'll try explaining my stance again, but I'm afraid I'm not being clear enough. Here is where I see the disconnect. You write "There is a provision
in the regulation that allows DNT to be the thing that allows for
consent without window shades."

My understanding is that the amendments to the proposed regulation allows for a data protection board to determine whether commonly accepted standards meet compliance with the law.

Do you expect the data protection board to approve DNT as currently drafted (which creates a distinction between first and third party use)?

I don't. Because I don't, I struggle to see how DNT (as currently being discussed in the WG) will get rid of the window shades.

If the data protection board says that DNT could meet legal compliance but only if all websites respond to the DNT header as though they are a third party, then I'm saying that global companies will likely say 'thanks, but then I'll just stick to my window shade because I can't change my website to treat myself as a third party'.

I hope that explains my worry better. I'm afraid that the data protection board won't 'approve' DNT in a way that makes it practical for global companies.

What am I missing here?  What do you see the board approving?  Sorry if I'm missing something obvious or am being dense. But, I'm struggling to see DNT being enough to satisfy all EU regulators' desires without it requiring websites to fundamentally change how it handles (defines) DNT for EU websites.  Once we require a different DNT implementation for websites for the EU, I believe implementing window shades is easier/cheaper than creating different processes for DNT.

Vinay

Sent from my phone