Re: Agenda: Global considerations F2F meeting 11-12 Berlin

On 2013-03-05 18:04, Rigo Wenning wrote:
> This works via the Whereas 66 in the ePrivacy Directive:
>  Where it is technically possible and effective, in accordance with
> the
> relevant provisions of Directive 95/46/EC, the user’s consent to
> processing may be expressed by using the appropriate settings of a
> browser or other application.
>
> Window shades are soooo ugly. We can get rid of them.

Moreover, Jan Philippe Albrecht, the Rapporteur for the Data Protection
Regulation has specifically introduced an amendment that would give the
European Commission the authority to designate certain technical
standards as appropriate for giving consent. This has been done with the
potential outcomes of this workgroup in mind, as I have been told by
Albrecht's privacy advisor. This particular amendment is, as I
understand it, not terribly controversial, neither in the European
Parliament, nor with the Council of Ministers.

This underlines the great opportunity for industry in this workgroup
and I find it deeply worrisome to see a lack of progress towards a
meaningful standard. Next week's meeting will be crucial for the further
credibility of the W3C DNT workgroup, if it does not bear fruit I am not
sure whether it will remain worthy of the participant's time and
attention to continue participating in the workgroup. Sadly, I cannot be
present in Berlin, but I truly hope that we can turn a corner there.

Regards,

  Walter