Global considerations delta document: audience measurement research

Hi Rigo,

Here is the text re audience measurement research for global considerations
document also attached as a word doc:

Article 6(1)(b) of the EU Privacy Directive allows further processing for
'historical, statistical or scientific purposes' supported by recitals (29
and 30) on appropriate safeguards.

Article 6(1e) allows data to be stored for longer periods for historical,
statistical or scientific and member states to prescribe appropriate
safeguards.

Art 11.2 enables data to not have been obtained from the data subject for
statistical, historical or scientific research if there are appropriate
safeguards. Recital 40 provides that 'it is not necessary to [provide notice
to the data subject] if they already have the information' and that 'there
will be no such obligation if the recording or disclosure are expressly
provided for by law or if the provision of information to the data subject
proves impossible or would involve disproportionate effort, which could be
the case where processing is for historical, statistical or scientific
purposes;

Article 13.2 allows member states to restrict Article 12 re access and
erasure of data for historical, statistical and scientific research as long
as there are no privacy risks and 'appropriate safeguards' are applied by
ensuring that the data will not be used to support measures or decisions
regarding any particular individuals subject to member states.

Similar conditions are also contained in Articles 5(e), 6.2 and Article 83
of the proposed GDPR.

Text regarding safeguards provided by anonymisation, and
pseudo-anonymisation is included in the Art29WP Opinion on personal data
(2007) and the ArtWP29 Opinion on purpose limitation wrt historical,
statistical or scientific purposes (2013).

Kathy Joe,
Director, International Standards and Public Affairs