Re: Mapping DNT to GDPR

Dear all,

many thanks for your input. Your suggestions and clarifications largely
match my expectations; I expect it will take time before we get around
to actually taking DNT into account (as you expect we have our work cut
out for GDPR) but it is something that I will keep on my radar and get
to when possible.

On 10/12/17 6:18 PM, Aleecia M. McDonald wrote:
> A co-author and I argue that DNT may be used to fulfill GDPR depending
> on how browsers work [1].

Thanks a lot for that paper; this is definitely a useful read for me.

> The W3C working group has designed DNT from the start to be a tri-part
> state.
> DNT:1- request not to be tracked
> DNT:0- agreement to be tracked
> unset- in the US, the user has not made a choice for privacy so it’s ok
> to still track them.
> - in the EU, the user has not consented to tracking, so it’s not ok to
> track them.
>
> This is related to the point Roy raised, but a little different.
> Basically tracking as opt-in v. opt-out flips based on where the user is
> located.

Yes, that is also our expectation.

Thank you!

--