Re: Phasing out mouse compatibility events on tap?

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 12:24 PM, PhistucK <phistuck@gmail.com> wrote:

> Touch events contain much more data and granularity than mouse events. If
> you disable them, perhaps the logic or memory used for obtaining and
> storing that data can be suppressed and the memory usage or performance may
> improve.

Our measurements do not support this - we have to get the data in chromium
in the first place in order to generate the gesture events that ultimately
give rise to the compatibility mouse events.  BUT there is a significant
cost associated with having the gresture events block on the touch event
handling in blink.  This is why we already implement various optimizations
which skip sending touch events to the renderer process when there are no
handlers, or no handlers at the relevant location.  The scroll-blocks-on API
<https://docs.google.com/a/chromium.org/document/d/1aOQRw76C0enLBd0mCG_-IM6bso7DxXwvqTiRWgNdTn8/edit>
I'm working on extends this further to let you explicitly opt-out of this
blocking without suppressing the touch events entirely (i.e. giving them
the performance properties of PointerEvents in this regard).