Re: Should touchmove really always be synchronous and cancellable?

On 5/7/14 4:04 PM, Doug Schepers wrote:
> Hi, Rick–
>
> If you decide that 'touchmove' should be async and uncancelable, we
> should update the spec. It's important that the spec reflects the
> reality of implementations.
>
> To drill into trivial process details, we should issue an errata
> document that corrects this, and probably publish an updated version
> of the spec. The catch here is that the Touch Events spec is an
> "orphan"... that is, the Touch Events WG is now closed. But that's not
> a problem; W3C staff (in this case, me) will publish the errata
> document, and I can also create a new "Proposed Edited Recommendation"
> (PER) draft of the spec based on those errata; we can add a notice to
> the top of the spec to tell people where to look for the errata and
> newest version.
>
> W3C management was pretty open to the idea of Community Groups helping
> maintain errata for orphaned specs; CGs can't publish normative
> documents on the Recommendation track, but they can request that W3C
> staff publish errata and PERs, and patent commitments don't change
> [1], so for minor changes, we don't need to have a formal Working Group.
>
> (We plan to make this more clear in the new proposed Process Document,
> BTW.)
>
> In any case, let's take whatever steps you think are helpful in making
> the Touch Events spec both accurate and discoverable to readers.

Yes, agree.

FYI, the Touch Events REC already includes a link to an errata document:

<http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/REC-touch-events-20131010/REC-touch-events-20131010-errata.html>

Doug - may we use the existing hg repo for diffs/patches? (I don't know
if the write permissions were turned off when the Web Events WG was closed.)

<https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webevents/>

-Art