Re: Errata for Touch Events: 5.4 List of TouchEvent types - touchmove's default action

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 9:00 AM, Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
wrote:

> Currently, the default action for touchmove in the table reads:

I assume you mean "touchend" not "touchmove".

> "Varies: mousemove (If point has been moved), mousedown, mouseup, click"
>
> As it seems that mousemove is consistently sent by all (?)
> implementations, mainly for compat reasons (same as in the case of Pointer
> Events), and not really because a point moved or not (and my proposed
> non-normative list of events would also mention this), I'd propose
> (assuming the event list thing is ok) to harmonise this with:

Agree we shouldn't have the "if the point has been moved" statement.

"Varies: <code>mousemove</code> (for compatibility with legacy
> <code>click</code>".

I consider ALL the mouse* events to be there for "legacy mouse-specific
code".  I don't think calling this out just for mousemove is valuable.

Alternatively, it may be even more straightforward to just point to section
> 7 here and leave it at that?
>
> "Varies: user agents may dispatch <a href="...">mouse and click events</a>"

I personally like this second option better.  As we decided with the PE
spec, let's try to confine any details of compatibility mouse events to
section 7.  I'd love to make the mouse* event generation optional
(deprecated for compat only) someday if it were possible.  Those events
really do nothing but get in the way (IMHO) when building a modern
responsive website.  Note I'm not referring to 'click' - that has real
high-level value IMHO.