Re: [External] Re: Frustrations of captions video delivery

Not to mention that the vast vast majority of polyfills are poorly
implemented and are unusable. You just need to look at the live captions of
every major network in the USA on their websites. It’s a joke. No one with
decision making power cares.

We actually had to write our own implementation just to get usable stimuli
for our caption quality research.

Thanks, Silvia, for confronting this uncomfortable truth.

Best wishes
Christian

On Fri, Jan 6, 2023 at 9:13 PM Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
wrote:

> That's what is being done ... by every single content publisher.
> That's an effort that a conformant browser implementation should be able
> to avoid.
> Also - it doesn't work for TVs where you cannot use a polyfill.
>

> On Sat, Jan 7, 2023 at 1:05 PM Pierre-Anthony Lemieux <pal@sandflow.com>
> wrote:
>
>> What cannot be done by using a JS polyfill?
>>
>> -- Pierre
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 6, 2023 at 5:57 PM Silvia Pfeiffer
>> <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I thought it would be useful to share a video of a Paramount employee
>> explaining their challenges with rendering and styling of videos via
>> browser technology:
>> > https://youtu.be/Z0HqYQqdErE
>> >
>> > It's really quite frustrating to see that Web browsers are still not
>> conformant with each other in how to render Cues on the Web and therefore
>> content providers are still needing to build their own rendering
>> technologies to not be hit with lawsuits.
>> >
>> > I've stopped being active around caption standards and compatibility on
>> the Web about 10 years ago and I'm so sad that we haven't made much
>> progress since then.
>> >
>> > When will browser vendors make this a priority?
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Silvia.
>>
> --
Christian Vogler, PhD
Professor, Director, Technology Access Program
Gallaudet University
Sent from my mobile phone. Please excuse any touchscreen-induced weirdness.