Re: Inband styling (was Re: Evidence of 'Wide Review' needed for VTT)

> On Feb 24, 2015, at 18:57 , Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com> wrote:
>
> I think I agree with Silvia here, a STYLE block seems more natural
> than putting it in the header. Note that we could still, if there are
> strong reasons, drop any such blocks that come after any cue. It gives
> us some flexibility with the streaming case, even if we don't use it
> now.

I don’t mind if it’s a block or part of the header, as long as it has to occur before the first cue. The point is that at the moment one can random access into a VTT file (not load it all from the beginning), once one has the ‘header’.  I don’t want to lose that.  In text, one might lose cues that have an end time that overlaps where you random access to, but in MP4 packing we even deal with that.

> I'm not sure about multi-line though, that doesn't seem to be made any
> simpler by using a block, unless a STYLE block should continue until
> the next valid block is found. I think that would be a little
> unfortunate, it would make STYLE blocks different from NOTE blocks and
> could make it hard to introduce new blocks that come after STYLE.

Previously I thought escaping was right. It has the mild advantage that once one removes the escapes, the stylesheet ‘looks’ right/nice. But to do either escaping or blankline removal, you have to edit the stylesheet.  If you’re going to edit it, why not simply remove the blank lines and leave it syntax valid?

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.