Re: Conversion of 608/708 captions to WebVTT - how to map the colour green

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 10:24 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 12:16 PM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 9:36 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
> > wrote:

> see

> SMPTE
> the
> >> >

> http://michaelborthwick.com.au/closed_captioning_online_streaming_video_dfxp_webvtt.html
> >>
> >> Thanks Michael, this was a great talk! I'm not sure why, but I found
> >> the trouble with green and conflicting standards very amusing, a very
> >> familiar kind of problem.
> >>
> >> Since WebVTT doesn't have any dedicated syntax for colors it really
> >> comes down to the CSS that goes along with the captions, and of course
> >> any mapping specs. Unfortunately, I suspect you will not be the last
> >> to spend time looking for a suitable green color.
> >

> > Haven't had a chance to watch yet, but from TTML:
> >
> > <named-color>
> >   : ...
> >   | "green"                                 // #008000ff
> >   | "lime"                                  // #00ff00ff
> >   | "olive"                                 // #808000ff
> >

> >> Did you ever hear back from the BBC about which the ultimate colors
> >> are? I doubt that #00FF00 is actually used on the Web, it's so bright!
> >

> > Y = 0.299R + 0.587G + 0.114B
>
> Is this BBC green? Multiplying with 255 and rounding, that is rgb(76,
> 150, 29), assuming it's the same RGB colorspace of course...

Y (or more accurately Y') is the luminance component of Y'UV or Y'PbPr [1].
My point was that the G component of Y contributes ~60% of brightness. So
an #00FF00 mapping to Y would be bright indeed.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YUV

> In any case, it's a lot nicer than #00FF00, and a bit brighter than
> #008000.

In 8-bit Y'CbCr (ITU-R BT.601) [2], which is a typical digital video sample
representation, the 8 bit value of Y' for #008000 would be 81 and for
#00FF00 would be 145 (in a range of [16,235], i.e., Y'(black) = 16,
Y'(white) = 235).

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YCbCr

The brightness (Y') of #00FF00 would be 149, and for #008000 would be 75,
when viewed relative to Y'