Re: Conversion of 608/708 captions to WebVTT - how to map the colour green

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 7:10 AM, Michael Borthwick
<mb@michaelborthwick.com.au> wrote:
> On 08/04/2014, at 1:08 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>
>> Note: I've made the change to "lime" and updated the related text, see
>> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/text-tracks/rev/07a843b7f31d
>>
>> Please let me know if there are more changes necessary.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Silvia.
>

> Dear list members,
>
> For those who are interested I have made the 22 minute video of my SMPTE
> Australia 2013 talk regarding this issue available online with appropriate
> amendments to reflect the changes kindly made by Silvia last year to the
> mapping of green into CSS lime.
>
> http://michaelborthwick.com.au/closed_captioning_online_streaming_video_dfxp_webvtt.html

Thanks Michael, this was a great talk! I'm not sure why, but I found
the trouble with green and conflicting standards very amusing, a very
familiar kind of problem.

Since WebVTT doesn't have any dedicated syntax for colors it really
comes down to the CSS that goes along with the captions, and of course
any mapping specs. Unfortunately, I suspect you will not be the last
to spend time looking for a suitable green color.

Did you ever hear back from the BBC about which the ultimate colors
are? I doubt that #00FF00 is actually used on the Web, it's so bright!

Somewhat on topic, if you're making new captions, you might consider
using WebVTT's voice tag, with which you can annotate the speaker and
then style the speaker more explicitly. This is the second example in
http://dev.w3.org/html5/webvtt/#other-features

Philip