Re: File headers

On May 3, 2013, at 17:04 , Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

> I may have asked you this before, but can you please fix your email client to use some form of standard quoting?  The unmarked indented quotes your'e using make your mails confusing and hard to read, especially when they end up in nested quotes.

[dws] I do, as far as I know;  Mac OS X used standard quoting (at least it comes through fine to most people).  I know that people using some Microsoft products come through to me as lacking quoting.  I am unaware of any preference for this in mail, as well.  I'll ask around.  What mailer do you use?  My mails also show up fine in the W3C archive (e.g. <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-texttracks/2013Mar/0069.html>).

> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 6:40 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
> why do we need to allow the lack of a blank line before the first cue, i.e. why are we scanning for the -> stuff in the header?  In HTML, this kind of thing is there because of old poorly-written yet still-parsed content.  If we don't allow such content to work from day one, this problem never arises, and then the scanning is much much easier (look only for a blank line).
>
> I think the issue is that the error of omitting the initial blank line is easy to make, and the consequence is easy to miss, since the result is simply that the first caption gets dropped on the floor.  This reduces the consequences of that.  (It doesn't eliminate them, since any data in the cue before the timestamp line are still dropped, but those are much less common.)
>
> (I'm not personally convinced that this is needed; I think having the first caption disappear is plainly obvious, but I've tried to offer an approach that retains that error-recovery.)

[dws] me too

> I don't think it's difficult to constrain the -> error-handling case in a way that still recovers more or less as well without causing issues with headers, if that change can still be made.  I detailed one approach to this earlier in the thread (or a related thread).

[dws] thx

> --
> Glenn Maynard

David Singer