Re: File headers

On 19 Mar 2013 05:41, "David Singer" <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2013, at 7:49 , Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 12 Mar 2013, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm warming to this. Like COMMENT, these would not be extra headers in
> >> the current spec, but broken cues. However, how do we identify the end
> >> of such a directive with blank lines in them?
> >
> > Don't put a blank line in them. (Or a line with -->.)
>
> agreed.  if we don't like escaping blank lines, don't have them. it's no
harder to remove them than it is to insert the escape.

> The only case that this would fail for is if you want to in-line
something that has significant blank lines, and the only format that comes
to mind is VTT itself, and no, I don't want a VTT header that has, as
in-line value, another VTT file :-(

Agreed. But we're talking about inlining CSS files which also have
significant blank lines.

> So, possible outcomes
>
> A) All headers are single-line.  Result: you want a short file-specific
style sheet, either write it on one line, or put it in a separate file.

> B) Headers can be multi-line, but they can't have blank lines.  Result:
we'd need a terminator syntax the author can choose so as not to clash with
the content, or else we still should have escaping.

> C) Headers are multi-line, and blank lines and lines that emulate the
terminator are escaped.  Result: when you in-line something, you have to
look at it and maybe fix it up (or have a tool that does that
automatically).

> I think I prefer A,C,B in that order.

Excellent. My preference is also A.

Silvia.