Re: WebVTT Positioning

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 2:40 PM, David Ronca <dronca@netflix.com> wrote:
> What is the expected presentation of the text below?  My expectation is
> vertically centered, and to the right of the screen (10% off the edge).  Is
> my understanding of WebVTT positioning correct?
>
> Thanks,
> David
>
> 6
> 00:00:20.000 --> 00:00:24.000 align:right  position:10%  size:80%  line:50%
>  [Middle-Right Water Running]

* it's horizontal text, left-to-right

* line:50% says to put it 50% down from the top of the video frame

* position:10% says to put it 10% in from the edge of the frame the
left of the frame (this is determined by the text direction, not by
the alignment)

* align:right says that the text is right aligned in its frame (if
you're trying this in Chrome, I think "right" is not yet supported, so
you should use "end" instead)

* size:80% says to make the width of the cue 80% that of the frame
(this calculation has a few bugs in the spec; in particular right now
it says that if you have right aligned horizontal text, the width of
the cue can maximally be the width of "position", which in this case
leads to a 10% wide cue )

To get what you want, you need to set position to 90%. I've tested
this in Chrome and in Opera 12.

HTH,