Re: WebVTT Spec Question

On Apr 13, 2013, at 14:58 , Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Apr 2013, David Singer wrote:
>>
>> Well, I think we should have a formal system for un-registered
>> meta-data.
>
> We do, it's called a comment. You can put any proprietary data you want
> there, and other UAs will ignore it.

well, I think that there is a difference between user-comments (free form) and machine-readable attribute-value pairs.  also, if we have places for
1) pre-defined attribute-value pairs
2) comments

it's not obvious to me that (3) externally-defined, experimental, or other attribute-value pairs are better in the second than the first; they seem closer to the first, to me.  reserving X-  attribute names for experiments and so on is a pretty time-honored tradition, as well.

nonetheless, I will bear your opinions in mind …

David Singer