Re: TextTrackCue contructor API change

On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 18:31:24 +0200, Victor Carbune
<victor.carbune@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would avoid breaking everything that uses TextTrackCue, so I'm curious
> why
> wouldn't we keep a TextTrackCue constructor with minimal functionality
> for:
> i) pages making use exclusively of metadata cues
> ii) pages that display videos only with minimal display functionality
> (bottom of the video, centered).
>
> While for ii) we need to add back the "text" attribute to
> TextTrackCue, i) works with just the attributes and event listeners
> that the TextTrackCue interface offers now.
>
> The two categories wouldn't make use of any specific features that
> WebVTT, TTML or other formats have to offer.

I'm not sure I like the compromise you suggest above. It seems like it
would break existing pages in subtle and hard-to-debug ways. If we remove
the constructor, we break the same pages but in obvious and easy-to-debug
ways.

If we don't want to break the pages at all, we should revert the change
and let TextTrackCue() create a WebVTT cue, like before. However, I think
the number of pages that use this constructor is small enough that we can
break them.

$ grep -rc "TextTrackCue(" ./
0

Data set: "complete raw data from December 2012 (518 Mb)" from
http://webdevdata.org/

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software