Re: WebVTT spec

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 6:57 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Apr 2013, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> >
> > A new draft document is now at
> > https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/text-tracks/raw-file/default/webvtt/webvtt.html .
>
> Is this the source file? I'm confused. With scripting disabled, all the
> styles, cross-references, etc, seem to stop working. Many elements are
> missing auto-generated IDs, <a> elements without href=""s abound, etc.

Yes, it's the source file.

ReSpec uses the source file and transforms it - it does everything in
JavaScript. So, if you disable scripting, you get none of the goodness,
including everything that you list above. It's how it works.

> > Fixed. I didn't notice I linked to the 5.0 spec - thanks!
>
> It still links to a w3.org version of the spec (a TR/ version at that,
> which is even worse). Why don't we link to the same version we linked to
> before? It's more up to date and has fewer mistakes in it.

This is in preparation for going through the W3C processes, which I'm sure
will require us to point to the W3C spec. I've, however, added the WHATWG
spec as well, because it is where it was originally started, so that's just
fair.

Cheers,