Re: Yet Another Scroll-Up Idea (YASUI) in VTT

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 8:02 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 23:02:20 +0200, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
>
>>> CSS allows several selectors per ruleset.
>>>
>>> ::cue-region(#foo), ::cue-region(#bar) { background:blue }
>>

>> I think I am failing to explain myself.  I need it to be possible that
>> there is a 'general purpose' spreadsheet that defines "this style gives you
>> a window with a red fill color", "this style gives you a window with a blue
>> fill color" and so on, and then be able to apply those styles to regions,
>> and that two distinct regions with the same fill color have distinct names,
>>
>> Why?  That general-purpose stylesheet can be embedded, in effect, in UAs
>> that don't implement CSS, so that it can be used -- just like the red text
>> in the example here
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/community/texttracks/wiki/608_to_WebVTT#4._CHARACTER_STYLE_CONVERSION
>

> Woah! I was unaware of that wiki page.

It's  a bit outdated and replaced by
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/text-tracks/raw-file/default/608toVTT/608toVTT.html
 now. I have emailed the group about this before and asked if it can
become part of what we're working on.

> Why can't such UAs just support the subset of CSS that they want to support,
> like 'color' and 'background-color'? WebVTT already subsets which CSS
> properties apply, so full CSS support is not needed for WebVTT. Sure, you
> need a CSS parser, but that's pretty easy and even has a state machine
> tokenizer and parser spec now. http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-syntax/

That spec was created for offline players in particular. The default
CSS style sheet is not one that I would bake into the browsers, but
one that I would supply the browser with when given a WebVTT file that
uses 608 features. Thus, from the browser's point of view nothing
changes.

>>> I imagine the scrolling mechanism and the WebVTT positioning rules would
>>> have a messy interaction. It would also mean we can't use CSS rules for
>>> laying out the cues within the region, thus maybe can't use CSS transitions.
>>

>> I don't follow you at all here.  What I suggest seems pretty much like
>> laying out nested divs, doesn't it, and then putting text into those divs?
>

> The WebVTT rendering rules don't really work like "divs" at all.
>
> The rendering rules do things like avoid overlapping. What happens if a
> rollup cue and a positioned cue within a region overlap?

The browser should just let that happen it's the responsibility of the
author to deal with that. If they intended them to overlap, then so be
it.

Cheers,