Re: Yet Another Scroll-Up Idea (YASUI) in VTT

On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 00:08:18 +0200, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

>> Woah! I was unaware of that wiki page.
>>
>> Why can't such UAs just support the subset of CSS that they want to
>> support, like 'color' and 'background-color'?
>
> I think the amount of work to support general CSS parsing and so on is
> not insignificant.  It's like trying to pull one thread of spaghetti off
> your plate…you very easily end up with all of it in your lap :-(

I'm not convinced that's true. Things that want to support a limited
subset of HTML can be expected to implement all of the parsing rules (or
use an off-the-shelf HTML parser) and then implement only the stuff they
care about without ending up with implementing a full browser rendering
engine. It might be the case the off-the-shelf CSS parsers aren't readily
available yet, though.

Even if I'm wrong, for WebVTT the set *allowed* CSS properties is very
small.

>> The WebVTT rendering rules don't really work like "divs" at all.
>
> But regions could work pretty much like them (in a restricted sense).
>
>> The rendering rules do things like avoid overlapping. What happens if a
>> rollup cue and a positioned cue within a region overlap?
>

> At the moment, what I wrote was that when text is addressed into line N
> of a roll-up region, then the (each) line of arriving text causes the
> contents of lines N and above to move up a line; can collision still
> occur?

This assumes that you can only position cues vertically with integers, not
with %?

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software