Re: Support for advanced caption features (inc rollup)

I also would like to add on general principe:

In the U.S., and unlike most of the rest of the world, access for people
with disabilities is considered a civil right. The CVAA reflects this - the
expectation is that people with disabilities can enjoy their video
programming in a manner functionally equivalent to the non-disabled world.
The class of devices and software covered by the captioning requirements is
intentionally broad. Trying to ridicule this by pulling up seemingly absurd
arguments isn't going to get anywhere - if anything at all, it reinforces
the view that the needs of people with disabilities are not being taken
seriously.

If you can do it, then the expectation is that so can we. It's that simple.

It's not any more acceptable to make concessions in the display of captions
that it is acceptable for the hearing world to be saddled with a player
without a volume control. Or being saddled with mono audio only, rather
than 5.1 surround and other more advanced audio setups.

As far as roll-up captions are concerned, I understand that we have a
difference in philosophy. I understand and respect that. At the same time,
where such philosophical differences get in the way of accessibility, it's
not possible just to back off.

WebVTT is likely to be implemented universally across the major web
browsers, and thus offering captions taken from TV programming on WebVTT is
the path of least resistance for video distributors, especially with the
excellent document that is being prepared by Silvia and others on
conversion between CEA-608-style captions and WebVTT. Regions are the one
major outstanding issue that prevent this from happening. I don't think it
makes sense for any major browser implementer to implement yet something
else when WebVTT is already so close - and Google and Apple supporting the
region proposal seems to bolster this argument. I don't think anyone wants
to see WebVTT fragmentation, so ...

I also have to agree with people who say there are more use cases for
regions than just the straightforward conversion of TV captions in the U.S.
I'm not going to rehash the previous discussions on the list about these;
other to note that they are there.

And WebVTT also offers a path forward for substantially better captions
than what we currently have on TV once we make progress in that area (which
is currently purely voluntary). I'll be happy to follow up on this and work
on guidelines for making the leap toward substantially better caption
quality during the conversion to Internet programming, but IMHO that's
something for the medium to long term - and right now distributors can't
actually be compelled to use these guidelines, rather than throwing up
their hands and asserting that broadcasting live captions on the Internet
is burdensome, due to the absence of a straightforward conversion path.

Christian

--
Christian Vogler, PhD
Director, Technology Access Program