Re: Support for advanced caption features (inc rollup)

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012, Christian Vogler wrote:

> The section of the CFR Silvia is referring to was changed in response to
> Section 203 of the CVAA. I've worked intensively with the deaf and hard
> of hearing advocacy groups on this part.

Section 203 doesn't seem to do the same as the CFR (in particular it
doesn't mention roll-up captions, and seems generally more reasonable).
But to the point of my question, it also doesn't seem to let the FCC
regulate Web software.

> What makes it apply is the following language:
>
> Note to paragraph ( a ): Apparatus includes the physical device and the
> video players that manufacturers install into the devices they
> manufacture before sale, whether in the form of hardware, software, or a
> combination of both, as well as any video players that manufacturers
> direct consumers to install after sale.

I agree that if the CFR applies to Web browsers that this text applies. My
question is what applies the CFR to Web browsers in the first place.