Re: Support for advanced caption features (inc rollup)

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012, Anna Cavender wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 Dec 2012, Anna Cavender wrote:
> > >
> > > To clarify, I was proposing live captioning for video conferencing,
> > > not instant messaging and not necessarily roll-up, as a use case for
> > > the Region.  There exist proposals to use WebVTT in DASH [1] and HLS
> > > [2], so this isn't too far fetched.  A Region would enable appending
> > > of cues as a captioner types.
> >
> > That's certainly an interesting use case, but it's not one currently
> > supported by WebVTT really, at least, not one it was designed to
> > support.
>
> Not *yet* :).  If this use case is derailing this thread, feel free to
> focus on the other important ones presented by others, though I think it
> will be important for WebVTT to support in the future.

I thought there was a bug on this already, but I can't find it (I checked
the WONTFIX, LATER, REMIND, and NEEDSINFO bugs too...).

Anyway, if you want live video-conferencing captioning supported, please
do file a bug on this so we can consider what it requires. (Probably needs
close coordination with WebRTC.)

> > It also doesn't require roll-up captions.
>
> Note that Silvia's proposal of a "Region" would allow much more than
> just roll-up (in my example, an append).

The key is to consider use cases first, not solutions first.