Re: Support for advanced caption features (inc rollup)

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 7:16 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Dec 2012, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> >
> > (1) We (YouTube) are required to support these features in the US (per
> > CVAA).
>
> I'm no lawyer, but I disagree with your interpretation of the relevant
> requirements.

It was not my interpretation - I was given this by YouTube.

 > (2) As a delivery format, we have the choice of using:
> >        (a) A new private format that may or may not someday be a public
> > standard.
> >        (b) WebVTT, a public format that many browsers plan to support, at
> > least partially.
> >        (c) TTML/SMPTE-TT, a public format that most browsers don't plan
> > support.
> > (3) Our preference is to make the necessary enhancements to (b) as that
> > seems
> >       to have the most promise for widespread implementation.
>
> I don't think browsers should support your use case.

Please note that you are not just objecting to roll-up with your
statements. There are other features that the "Region" spec also enables.
In particular the possibility to move multiple cues from one screen
location to another as a group, which is important when the captions are
obstructing something on the video that the user wants to see. Moving the
"Region" makes it possible to continue rendering the cues to the newly
chosen location. Several other features were also listed.