Re: Displaying multiple lines in WebVTT

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 11:03:47 +0200, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
wrote:

>> One advantage that an explicit newline element would bring is: we can
>> have empty lines in a cue without changing the general WebVTT parser.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> 00:00:00:00 -> 00:00:03:00
>> - You ready, Corporal?<br>
>> - Yes, ma'am.
>>
>> This is something that is currently not possible.
>
> I've never seen captions with blank lines in them like the above, do we
> really want them? It seems like it's really line height you want to
> change.

http://simon.html5.org/dump/srt-dialogue-with-empty-line-between.txt
(srt-samples is about 4GB worth of SRT files)

I don't think we should switch to <br> to support this. :-)

> In any event, blank lines are already possible by including an &nbsp; or
> other whitespace character on a line.
>
> Using <br> has some short-term benefits, but I tend to think that actual
> newlines will make more sense in the long term for a strongly
> line-oriented format...

I think using <br> won't prevent people from using explicit line breaks in
practice, so it's probably the wrong way to encourage authors to rely on
automatic wrapping.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software