Re: Cues with 'start time' >= 'end time'

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> I agree. Keeping such faulty cues in the objects will just result in a
> need for extra error handling in the browsers and other implementations,
> which have to continuously check if the next cue in the TextTrackCueList
> is valid before attaching callbacks and doing rendering etc.

Actually, if they just implement the spec, it all just works, as far as I
can tell. The algorithms mostly don't even need to check for this.

If we're worried about that, though, then we'd also have to change the
API, the in-band cue processing, etc. I think it's simpler to do nothing.

> >> It also makes it easier for cue editors to use the parser and API
> >> without having to worry about losing cues that happen to have
> >> incorrect timings.
> >
> > I don't see the value.  If it's an invalid cue, then it's no different
> > than losing a cue that happens to have a syntax error.
>
> In fact, if we don't lose it, they may never notice their mistake,
> seeing as it ends up in the cue list structure.

I'm not sure who "they" means here. A cue editor that wants to expose this
can trivially do so by just showing all cues with negative durations.