Re: meta-data in the VTT file header, a strawman proposal

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>wrote:

> > Yes.  Then all we need to add is
> > "In multi-line values, a line that either (a) starts with the escape
> > character
>
> There is no escape character. I don't think we need one.

There is: a leading backslash.

> or (b) is blank (safer, visually blank)
>
> We can't do blank lines or we break the WEBVTT parsing algorithm. I
> think we will have to just accept that WebVTT headers can't have blank
> lines.

Sure they can.  This was the suggestion:

> We could use a simple escape mechanism: if the first character on a
header value line begins with a backslash, remove it.  So, you get the
following:

> Key: |
> line 1
> \.
> \
> \\
> .
>
> In effect, "\." at the start of a line represents a period, "\" on a line
by itself represents a blank line, and '\\" at the start of a line is a
single backslash (escaping the escape character), but defined as a single
trivial rule instead of a list of escape sequences.

--
Glenn Maynard