Re: Displaying multiple lines in WebVTT

On Apr 18, 2012, at 15:20 , Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> Hi David,
>
>> 2  the existence of soft-wrapped text doesn't answer the question of whether we need hard-wrapped;
>
> That is correct. They are two independent issues that I'd like to look
> at independently. For example, while I personally support the
> introduction of a new balanced text wrapping algorithm, I don't
> believe we need to introduce explicit line break markup and can just
> live with CR/LF.
>
>>  we could
>>   a) say that line breaks in the VTT are treated as whitespace
>>   b) (a) plus allow <br>
>>   c) say that line breaks in the VTT file are 'hard'
>
> I don't think you can do a) without b).

I think some have argued that author line-breaks should not be permitted or possible in the content itself.

> IIUC Glenn wants b) and I am happy with leaving it at c).
>
> Which is your preference?

We're not writing paragraphs, such as in HTML, where inserting line breaks in the source is sometimes desirable to make the source readable, and then they need converting to whitespace. Cues need to be 'short'.

So I am not sure we need (a), which means we don't need (b), which means, for me, that (c) is fine; if you author a line-break, you meant it.

David Singer