Re: Rollup captions: an analysis and suggestion

I disagree with a lot of the use cases in there, but I think it's mostly
been covered in past discussions, so I won't rehash those discussions.

This bit confuses me, though:

> A second use case for roll-up captions on the Web are captions that are
created using automated speech recognition. It's important that users can
distinguish easily whether captions are created with lots of care and are
supposed to be of high quality, or are

This sounds like you're saying: "Roll-up captions are usually poorly edited
and lower quality than pop-on captions.  It's important that users can tell
that captions based on speech recognition are supposed to be poorly-edited,
and they can do so by noticing that it's a roll-up caption, because roll-up
captions tend to be of lower quality than pop-on captions."  I doubt that's
really what you meant, so can you clarify?

I don't see the need for something like "renderingHint=rollup"; that needs
use cases.

If roll-ups are going to be supported, I agree that it should be based on
semantic data, such as which side of the screen/captioning group the
caption is in.  The one closest to the suggestion I made is:

WEBVTT

00:00:05:94 00:00:10:61 rollup:box1
WHEN I GET A SICK BIRD,

except for two things:

1: "box1" would be which side of the screen it's on (eg. top, bottom, left
or right).
2: This isn't inherently roll-up-specific information; it's just grouping
captions by visual area.  So, the keyword "rollup" should be something like
"grouping".

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 7:28 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
 wrote:

> Are you suggesting that we should completely kill rollup as a feature
> on the Internet? Further, are you suggesting that the FCC got it wrong
> when they are requiring captions on the Web to be displayed exactly as
> they have been displayed on TV,

If that's what they said, it'd obviously be wrong.

That's not what you said in your previous summary, though; your quote was
'provide captions of at least the same quality (in terms of "completeness,
placement, accuracy, and timing")', which is a completely different message
than "displayed exactly as on TV".  To avoid repetition, I'll just link a
previous response about this which I agree with:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-texttracks/2011Dec/0033.html("Or
maybe..." and "changing them from ...").

and that we should introduce a
> conversion from roll-up to pop-on for all captions to be published on
> the Web?

Also http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-texttracks/2011Dec/0033.html
("converting
roll-up...")