Re: "WebVTT file using only nested cues"

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:34 PM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 02:26:14 +0100, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It might be kinda odd.  One would have to say in the VTT spec. "When the
>>> VTT file is externally identified as a Chapter Track, then …", and in the
>>> HTML spec. say that the kind attribute being in the chapters state (what
>>> odd language!) identifies it as a chapter track.
>>>

>> It currently says: "A WebVTT file whose cues all have a cue payload that
>> is
>> WebVTT chapter title text is said to be a WebVTT file using chapter title
>> text."
>>
>> It could say: "... all have a cue payload that is WebVTT chapter title
>> text
>> and which uses only nested cues ..."
>>
>> This would mean that "WebVTT files containing only cue text" would not
>> always be "WebVTT fiels containing chapter title text", though.
>

> Since the nested cues thing is only used for chapters, we could merge the
> two requirements and call it "Chapters WebVTT file" or some such.

We could call it "Nested Chapters WebVTT file" in comparison to
"Unnested Chapters WebVTT files" that have only a flat structure.

Also, I agree with Glenn that this should be defined in the WebVTT
spec. The HTML spec should just talk about "nested chapter files, such
as the nested chapters webvtt file", seeing as other file format may
also produce such formats.

Cheers,