Re: Discussion on Caption Model

Hi Shane,

comments inline.

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 4:26 AM, Shane Feldman <shane.feldman@nad.org> wrote:
> Silvia,
> Thanks for sharing the Caption Model. It is a great start and helps us
> understand the different elements that need to be considered.
>
> Perhaps we need to develop a set of performance objectives (in other words,
> user/functional requirements). Ultimately consumers who use the captions
> need to determine the best way we want to receive our captions. We would
> need to know which are features are available for us to control and which
> features are determined by the author, and cannot be modified.

That's indeed another good set of requirements to add. My focus this
far was on author-controlled features.

What features exactly are you thinking about that should be user controlled?

>From my experience with YouTube I would think that we want these
features to be user-controllabe:
* fontsize (for the vision-impaired so they can increase the font size),
* fontface, background color, text color, outline, (for those that
find the given formatting not sufficiently perceivable because e.g. of
color blindness),
* position (to allow avoiding other on-screen objects).

Did you think of anything else?

> To provide one example, your document may assume that the only way to
> display captions is to overlap it on the video. Some consumers have
> expressed a desire, and preference, to see captions at the bottom of the
> screen without overlapping with the video image similar to watching a
> letterbox movie with captions.

This is a feature that the browser or video player can always provide
in addition to the positioning on top of the video. This feature is,
however, application-dependent, while rendering and positioning on top
of the video isn't. Rendering on top of the video is also the only
possible means when in full-screen mode, so this rendering has to be
the default that we deal with.

Cheers,
Silvia.