Re: WebVTT feedback

On Dec 20, 2011, at 2:23 , Philip Jägenstedt wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 00:11:55 +0100, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 7, 2011, at 12:32 , Glenn Maynard wrote:
>>
>>> (We might want to shift lists if we want to pursue this, since the language-detection stuff isn't WebVTT-specific.)
>>>

>> do we really want any heuristics at all?  given a clean start, why don't we tell people "label the language right at either the file or text-span level"?  And say explicitly that in the absence of any language information, cuneiform will be assumed :-(
>
> With or without language information, font switching is needed. I assume that you don't mean that Chinese text in something labeled as English shouldn't be rendered at all, so how should the font for each character be picked?

I'm not sure I get the question.  I'm suggesting that if you want correct behavior, I would expect to see a VTT file labelled as 'generally lang=en-US' but this <span> has lang=zh.  (I'm using short language codes here, but full BCP 47 codes might be better).

In the absence of font tagging, I would assume that the UA has a set of fonts that are suitable for the intersections of Unicode characters and languages used.  Does that not work?

If the question is, what happens when the author fails to tag his content with the languages, well, he may not get the expected result.

David Singer