Stand-alone player (Was: WebVTT signature)

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 22:45:08 +0100, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the only versioning that we want is some kind of standard set of
> 'CSS' rules. For example the BBC may always want a specific font and a
> certain set of colors that would be used for a .red .green .blue class
> markup etc. However, we do not need versions for that. It can be
> achieved through name-value pairs at the start of the file (header-style
> metadata), which I'd really like to see introduced for other use cases,
> too. These include adding the main language used by the file (I.e. what
> the browser uses @srclang for), adding the kind, and adding the label.
> All of these may be ignored be browsers, but are really important for
> stand-alone players.

Some stand-alone players base their menus for in-band captions (e.g. in
DVD or Matroska) on the language information, but are there any that do
anything at all with metadata in external files? Last I checked, at most
there was a global font setting, nothing like automatic font switching
based on language/script, most likely because this information simply does
not exist in the widely used formats.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer