RE: A new GitHub organization for web-platform-tests

Is the org name “web-platform” taken?

You could then have:

https://github.com/web-platform/tests for the tests?

From: Philip Jägenstedt <foolip@google.com>
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 3:20 AM
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: public-test-infra <public-test-infra@w3.org>
Subject: Re: A new GitHub organization for web-platform-tests

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 9:18 PM fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net<mailto:fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>> wrote:
On 03/29/2018 09:34 AM, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
> Hi web-platform-test pioneers!
>
> PLH and I are trying to figure out a way to improve the management and handling of the WPT project on GitHub and Travis. As a
> consequence, I've been looking at a transition plan to move the web-platform-tests repo and related repos (at least
> wptdashboard and wpt-pullresults) to a separate GitHub organization. This was occasioned by the Travis capacity problems we're
> having (we represent around 55% of the w3c jobs on Travis in 2018) and ensuring that the people most involved with wpt infra
> can actually fix that, but there will be no doubt be more things like this as WPT as a project becomes more and more critical
> to everyone's workflows. PLH has been looking at increasing the Travis capacity in parallel.

This makes sense to me. WPT has a different collaboration pattern than W3C specs do.

> The obvious choice for org name, "wpt", is not available, and attempts to reach out to that user have failed. No other
> 3-character org names come to mind.

You could use more characters? :) w3test is available if you want it.
(but https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt seems fine to me)

Ms2ger also suggested w-p-t, but if the lengths of URLs change at all, then certain nuisances like rewrapping comments will happen, which is why I didn't look very hard for longer org names :)

> One option is that https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests would become https://github.com/web-platform-tests/web-platform-tests.

> That makes the URLs quite a bit longer, so the other option would be to also rename the repo to end up with https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt.

I prefer shorter and less redundant URLs, personally.

Me too. Under the web-platform-tests org, sounds like wpt is the most popular repo name suggestion so far.

I hadn't really considered changing *both* the org name and repo name, do you have a concrete combination that you'd prefer over https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt?