Re: A new GitHub organization for web-platform-tests

On 29/03/2018 17:34, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
> Hi web-platform-test pioneers!
>
> PLH and I are trying to figure out a way to improve the management and
> handling of the WPT project on GitHub and Travis. As a consequence, I've
> been looking at a transition plan to move the web-platform-tests repo and
> related repos (at least wptdashboard and wpt-pullresults) to a separate
> GitHub organization. This was occasioned by the Travis capacity problems
> we're having (we represent around 55% of the w3c jobs on Travis in 2018)
> and ensuring that the people most involved with wpt infra can actually fix
> that, but there will be no doubt be more things like this as WPT as a
> project becomes more and more critical to everyone's workflows. PLH has
> been looking at increasing the Travis capacity in parallel.

I think that decoupling the admin of wpt from the W3C org admin makes
sense; we frequently have to ask for people to be invited into the org
and occasionally have  problems where people with org-level access make
unintentional mistakes that would otherwise be prevented.

This is a little off-topic, but I'm not sure that in the long term we
are going to be able to meet all our requirements using Travis, and at
some point should evaluate alternatives. Although Travis is a common
choice it's far from the only CI-as-a-service provider with good GitHub
integration available.

> The obvious choice for org name, "wpt", is not available, and attempts to
> reach out to that user have failed. No other 3-character org names come to
> mind.
>
> So, I have created https://github.com/web-platform-tests as a possible
> future home for WPT.
>
> One option is that https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests would become
> https://github.com/web-platform-tests/web-platform-tests.
>
> That makes the URLs quite a bit longer, so the other option would be to
> also rename the repo to end up with
> https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt.

I don't have a strong opinion, but the latter seems fine. Either way I'm
pretty sure I'm going to spend about 2 years mistyping URLs.