Re: When it is appropriate to use wpt...

From: Shane McCarron <shane@spec-ops.io>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 14:02:44 -0500
To: Andreas Tolfsen <ato@mozilla.com>
Cc: Geoffrey Sneddon <me@gsnedders.com>, public-test-infra <public-test-infra@w3.org>, jyasskin@google.com, Simon Stewart <simon.m.stewart@gmail.com>
On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Andreas Tolfsen <ato@mozilla.com> wrote:

> +simon.m.stewart
>
> Self-containment I believe is an absolute requirement from Mozilla’s
> side, as the browser we are testing in CI is instructed to crash on an
> assertion when it attempts to access remote resources. We do this for
> hermetical purposes so that tests are reproducible.

Sure.  And for the tests that Mozilla needs to run against Firefox and its
support of the browser payment API, that is straightforward.  There are
others parts of the payments ecosystem that will have conformance
requirements that cannot be within that sort of bubble though.  At least I
don't think they can.  But you wouldn't be running those tests anyway.

If, on the other hand, you are planning on implementing a web payment
service and wanted to test it, and you wanted those tests to be self
contained, I imagine you would bring up an instance of the payment service
along with an instance of the test environment on your sealed server and
run it all there.

--
Shane McCarron
Projects Manager, Spec-Ops